see what we've been up to
Priorities for development
Previous trips to Our Lady of Perpetual Help Orphanage have provided the opportunity to assess needs for both the children and facilities. Here are some of the short and long term goals:
Short term goals include:
- Raising the electrical standards for a safer facility at both the boys’ and girls’ dormitories. (Note the open electrical switch in the background photo on the right.)
- Install an exhaust fan in the kitchen to remove carbon monoxide from the wood fires.
- Repair the water system at the boys’ facility, including re-piping the shower area, repairing the cistern, adding a second water storage tank on the roof, installing a water pump to move water from the cistern to storage tanks.
- Repaint the boys’ facility with better quality and longer lasting paint.
Long term goals include:
- Construction of a new facility for the girls near the boys’ dormitory. Total cost of this project is $425,000. Construction could be done in phases with the first phase costing $260,000.
- Establish a scholarship fund to put our high school graduates through college, university or vocational school.
- Build a trade school for continuing education after high school.